Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Thoughts

A few things have happened in our family over the last few weeks that have made me think a lot about my past and the things that I miss the most, or the things that I regret not doing.

First, we had the girls great-grandfather visit from California. It was a rare treat for all of us here and was so fantastic for Lala to get some interaction with him. The last time he and his wife were up here, Lala was just 8 months old, the exact age Gogo is.

Second, our newest niece was born. Bonbon was greeted warmly by both Lala and Gogo (who couldn't contain her fascination at another tiny human).

Finally, our extended family suffered a loss this past Sunday. I didn't know her as well as many others in the family, but I have fond memories of jet skiing with her outside of Spokane many summers. She was just 18.

All these have made me reflect and come to the following thoughts:


  • Our daughters have ALL FOUR of their grandparents AND four great-grandparents. How incredibly lucky is that? I only had three grandparents around when I was born, and had lost all of them before I graduated from college. I'm thankful that my parents and my in-laws are all in decent health so that the girls will have a relationship with them unlike what I had with mine. 
  • I'm thankful that all of their cousins are within a few hours so that they can grow up together and be part of each others lives. Uncle Bubba needs to move back up here with Eheh and Cocoba, but at least they're no more than 3 hours away. Poppa only ever got to see some of his cousins every summer, and then only every 3 years. So, I'm very grateful everyone is close.
  • I don't keep in touch with my extended family the way I should. I am planning on reaching out to my cousins and family to get together and catch up. Life is shockingly short, and I don't want to miss out on things they can teach me.


Now, with apple cider chicken for sandwiches in the crock pot (and making my house smell AMAZING), I'm going to go snug my girls a little closer, and hope that Poppa is in a mood for cuddles when he gets home.

Go hug the people (and pets) you love. And please please please be safe.

1 comment:

  1. The girls are really lucky! Dave only had one grandparent when I met him, and she sadly passed away a few years ago. I still have three grandparents, and I try to see them as often as I can, especially the grandma I'm closest to who has dementia, because I hate the idea of her forgetting who I am. But I often get sad that I was unable to have a relationship with my maternal grandfather, because he seemed like such a wonderful person.

    On another note--apple cider chicken sandwiches?! I need that recipe.

    ReplyDelete