Thursday, July 10, 2014

Fearless

Lala is absolutely fearless. She falls and doesn't cry...instead yells "YELLOW CARD!!!" She is covered in bruises from jumping off and onto anything around her. She laughs at Jabba the Hutt, and will tell you that Darth Vader is her favorite character.

She's only two and a half, but already I worry about the world around her forcing her to believe that she should be afraid. She's female therefore she's weak. She can't do things like the boys because she's NOT a boy. Certain passions of hers could be snatched away because she "shouldn't" like them.

Screw anyone who thinks that.

My daughter is fearless. I intend to keep her that way.

I will encourage her and her sister to do anything they are passionate about.

I will let them scrape their knees, fail at things, and fall down.

I will let them learn.

Because why should we tell a child to be fearful of the world they feel fearless in?

My daughter is fearless. And I love her for it.

5 comments:

  1. I love this so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also remember my dad telling me when I was little that the reason kids cry after they fall down is not because they are that hurt, but because there are adults swarming around them, "Oh my gosh, what did you do?! Are you okay?" Of course it's perfectly natural to be worried about kids, but we should transfer our worry onto them.

      If I'm around Aurelia when she falls down and I know she's not hurt, I quick scoop her up and dance around with her. That way her mind is on something else right away, and she knows she doesn't have to be afraid to fall!

      Delete
    2. *shouldn't transfer

      Delete
    3. That totally happens. I've seen kids that burst into tears, then look around to see if anyone is watching. If no one is, they stop, if people are and look upset/concerned, they keep screaming.

      It's also how I handle Lala's tantrums....

      Delete
  2. One of my friends has a little boy, and when he falls, they shout "Safe!" and make the hand motions like he's slid onto home plate. I just love hearing how our generation is raising their kids.

    ReplyDelete